8.7.10

Just Finished....The Children's Book


I just finished reading A.S. Byatt's "The Children's Book" and would recommend it.  It took me a while to get into this book, but once I did, I was hooked.  The book is set in the early 1900's and centres on children's book author Olive Wellwood and her large bohemian family and extended group of  friends.  The book has a rich cast of characters, many of whom are involved in the Arts & Crafts movement (which I have a soft spot for) and moves between the narrative and fairy tale stories that Olive is writing for each of her children.  At first glance, life seems idyllic - midsummer picnics, children roaming the English country side, beautiful pottery, fairy stories - but lurking beneath is a darker reality and the looming spectre of the First World War.  And, not that books should be judged by their covers, but it does have a really nice cover. 

1 comment:

Shona~ LALA dex press said...

Ah, so you finally finished. I might have to add this to my list. I just finished "The Thirteenth Tale" which I thought I would enjoy, did not + it has one of the ugliest covers ever!