1.1.07

A Smashing New Year's Eve


We had a quiet, but good, New Year's Eve. We stayed in, had dinner and watched "After the Thin Man." Actually, I didn't quite make it to the end of the movie, or midnight for that matter, but I still enjoyed our evening. Dinner was quite good, if I do say so myself - we had Portobella Mushrooms, roasted with garlic leek and thyme in a cream sauce, pear and rocket salad, "smashed" potatoes and for dessert there were lemon tarts with raspberries.
I think that my favorite part of the dinner was the "smashed" potatoes. I read the recipe somewhere years ago, so I can't recall the source, but it's so simple and good. It goes something like this - boil potatoes with the skins on until tender, put them on an oiled baking dish and squish down with potato masher (just enough to slightly flatten potato, but not mash it entirely), drizzle over olive oil, add salt, pepper and herbs of your choice and bake at 425 degrees for about 2o minutes. Remove from oven once crispy and delicious and scarf down immediately. Yum! I should have included some photos here, but the potatoes disappeared too quickly!
We have a nice New Year's day ahead, catching up with friends and some final "holiday" eating before all the resolutions begin. Happy 2007 to everyone!
Oh, and one last thing. The dinner last night was prepared using the flavour shaker, and it works! I think that even Martin, the skeptic, is coming around.

3 comments:

Heather said...

Glad to hear the shaker actually works! Happy New Year!

Shona~ LALA dex press said...

If Jamie Oliver is selling it- I'm buying. I love his cooking shows (this from someone who is not a fan of them) + also the work he is doing involving public school lunch programs, so why wouldn't his shaker work???
Sounds like a great New Year's to me, I love The Thin Man (of course- Cary Grant, old movies, George Cukor, I love it all!). Ours was just as quiet + I actually made it to 12:00!

Marieke said...

Mm, that sounds excellent. Happy new year! x